Lincoln

Lincoln
Lincoln Memorial

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Breakfast with Billions


A morning tour of the Federal Bureau of Printing & Engraving $$$ was quite interesting if not depressing. The fact that my entire life's earnings were litterly printed in front of me in the 30 minutes or so I watched the presses run during the tour. Funny it looked and smelled very familiar after 20 years in the news biz. You could find just about any money-themed Tchotchke (pronounced /ˈtʃɒtʃkə/ choch-ka [ a small toy, gewgaw, knickknack, bauble, lagniappe, trinket, or kitsch- in the gift shop including a sheet of $400 uncut $50 bills for $460. Go figure.
Arlington National Cemetery: A perfect weather day for a trek back over the Potomac for part two of the day. The Nations premier sacred site with visits to the Tomb of the Unknowns and the Kennedys. The view of DC from Arlington House was perfect! I always find it fitting that the Lee home be made a cemetery for the Union... Force march continues... Tired of people and tourists ;( I need caffeine! Another rookie tourist move on my part when I was busy typing this (in sections usually while riding the metro) and I missed the Arlington stop. My travel companions left me. So I had to ride back. Of course in my frustration I grab the wrong train and have to take two trains back;(

Smithsonian's Air & Space.
Always an education. It's space n aviation al-a-carte, just pick what you are interested in an find the section from Wright Brothers to un-maned military aircraft to SpaceX. I personally found the early years of commercial airlines from WWII to 1970 interesting. I also am a sucker for WWII fighters of all kinds.

No comments: